Map of North-East USA

Map of North-East USA

Tuesday 14 August 2007

Unitarian Universalism

Sunday 5th August

Sunday morning took us to the Flint Unitarian Universalist Church, where Cody is pianist for August. From what I understand, Unitarian Universalists are a non-denominational group of people who have come from all religions (although some are raised as UU's) and walks of life. Emphasis is placed on asking your own questions and not following a specific text.

I have always enjoyed the quiet thinking time that walking into an old church can offer but, as an agnostic, I have always felt uncomfortable in Christian church services and have struggled to understand many of the teachings of Christianity but the UU's are a very warm bunch, focused on "serving" other people in the most compassionate way possible and ensuring that everyone feels welcome - atheists, agnostics, visiting Brits, GLBT's. It gave me the contemplation time I needed, without the pressure of having to believe what the person next to me and the person beside them believes. Pleasant new experience!

No comments: