Map of North-East USA

Map of North-East USA

Saturday 11 August 2007

Saturday 4th August

Happy Anniversary today, Mum and Dad!!!

Saturday 4th August


Saturday was a bit of a lie back and relax day, although Cody had to practise, but we did make it to a gathering in the evening - a celebration to mark the marriage of two of Cody's school friends. By the time we arrived in the evening the crowds of people had gone home and there were just a handful of us sat in the back garden, which seemed to have its own forest towards the far end. As sunlight faded, the mosquitoes came out for their evening meal of human flesh, so a fire was lit in the centre of the gathering, marshmallows were toasted and homemade blueberry wine was consumed. Whilst Cody was deep in conversation with the groom, I was distracted (very pleasantly) by fire flies - this was my first experience with bugs that light up in the dark and I eventually realised that I had been gazing out with my jaw wide open, which must have looked very glamourous, I'm sure.


I think it is such a wonderful thing that couples in the U.S are able to choose any location for a wedding - parks or back gardens if they wish. In the UK you either have to use a church, registry office or a location from the list of registered buildings. It makes far more sense to be allowed to choose a spot of personal significance to the couple.

Later that evening Cody's sister, Caitlin, arrived from Grand Rapids. Prior to this we had only communicated via brief online messages, so it was wonderful to finally meet her. She is a very warm, vivacious character with a magnetic personality and, boy, does she look like Cody. I was feeling a little quiet at the time (probably still overwhelmed by the sheer scale of everything) but I hope I'll get to speak to her more when she visits home at the end of the month.

No comments: