Map of North-East USA

Map of North-East USA

Saturday 4 August 2007

Previous post continued...

Tuesday 31st August - Manhattan

Tuesday was the day we hit Manhattan on the New York subway. We crossed over on the train from Brooklyn and came out next to Carnegie Hall. I was keen to see Central Park so we made this our first stop. Although we were able to observe the immensity of the buildings from the park, I somehow felt a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of city life, and it certainly appeared to offer office workers an escape from the busy, humid streets; I hadn't expected to see such beautiful greenery and a sanctuary for wildlife in the centre of North America's largest city. It was here that I sighted a species, native to the U.S, in its natural habitat...the baseball player.

For the city that is sold to us Brits on its shopping opportunities and elevated skyline, it is exceptionally peaceful in places and I felt far less intimidated and hemmed in than I have on my trips to London.

5th Avenue, however, was something else - lined with shops you know you could never afford to enter and heaving with full-time, die-hard shoppers. The architecture truly is awesome (and I apply this word in the less frequently used British sense, to mean really AWESOME) though, and for all that we hear about the Empire State Building, and despite it being the one thing that really does stand out when travelling away from the city, it was the Rockefellar Centre that particularly caught my eye at close quarters; It is very tall, narrow and less enclosed by other high-rise structures.

The humidity by early afternoon was suffocating, so we eventually retreated to a café, where we consumed slices of pizza as big as your head, and took a bit of a breather. We didn't climb anything tall but I hope to have the tall building experience, either in Chicago or on our return to NYC in a few weeks time.

No comments: